Try these hearty and healthy slow cooker stuffed peppers for a delicious meal.
• 2/3 cup long grain white rice
• 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
• 1 small onion diced
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
• 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 6 bell peppers red, green, yellow or orange
Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 15-18 minutes or just until water is evaporated. (Rice should be slightly underdone.)
Brown beef, onion and garlic over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
Stir in 2/3 of the can of tomatoes, seasoning, chili flakes, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce until mixed. Add cooked rice and remove from heat.
Cut the tops off of your peppers and place in your slow cooker. Fill each 1/2 way with the rice mixture add 1/4 cup cheese and top with the rice mixture (it’s ok if they overflow a little bit).
Spoon remaining tomatoes and broth over top of peppers and cook on high about 3 hours or until soft. 5 minutes before serving, place remaining cheese on top of peppers and close the lid until cheese melts.
Printable recipe available at: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/crock-pot-stuffed-peppers/