Nothing is better than a quick and easy meal that is healthy and satisfying! Try this sesame chicken stir fry and pair with any whole grain you choose.
For the sauce
• 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
• ⅓ cup water
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar (or sub 1 tablespoon honey)
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil (preferably toasted sesame oil)
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (or sub 1 tablespoon tahini)
• ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ½ tablespoon arrowroot starch (or sub cornstarch)
For the chicken
• 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil (preferably toasted sesame oil
• 1 pound lean ground chicken (or ground turkey)
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• Freshly ground salt and pepper
For the veggies
• ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil (preferably toasted sesame oil)
• 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
• 1 white onion, chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 12 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
• ½ cup roasted cashews, chopped
• Scallions (green part of the onion only)
• Extra sesame seeds
In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, garlic, coconut sugar, sesame oil, rice vinegar, fresh ginger, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and arrowroot starch (or cornstarch). Set aside.
Add ½ tablespoon sesame oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot add in ground chicken and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Quickly begin to break up the meat and cook until no longer pink. Once cooked, transfer meat to a bowl and set aside. Keep heat in pan.
In the same pot, add ½ tablespoon sesame oil. Add in chopped onion and sliced carrots and cook for 2-4 minutes until onions begin to soften. Next add in green beans and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 6-8 minutes or until green beans are slightly tender but still have a bite. Add cooked ground chicken back to the pot with the veggies. Immediately turn the heat to low and add in the sauce. Cook for an additional 2-4 minutes over low heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
Serve with brown rice or quinoa for a healthy dinner. Garnish with roasted cashews, a few extra sesame seeds and scallions. Serves 4.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 4)
Saturated fat: 5.2g
Printable recipe available at: 30-Minute Sesame Chicken Green Bean Stir Fry | Ambitious Kitchen