Tomato season is coming in, and many are looking for new creative ways to use tomatoes. This bean dip is high in fiber and protein but still gives the cheesy satisfaction of pizza. This recipe would also make a great topping for grilled or baked chicken or shrimp. Pair with a fresh salad, and you have a delicious and healthy summer meal the whole family will love.
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 San Marzano peeled tomatoes (canned or fresh, can use other variety of meaty tomato as well such as Roma, plum or beefsteak)
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini white beans, rinsed and drained (look for low sodium)
- 1 Tbs water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded low fat or fat-free mozzarella
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry the garlic until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add in the San Marzano peeled tomatoes (be careful of splattering) and mash them down with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Let cook for about a minute and then reduce the heat as needed to prevent the garlic from burning. Add the spinach and the beans, water and then all the Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes and season with the salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, then bake until the cheese has melted and browned in spots, about 8 to 10 minutes. For more browning, switch to the broiler setting and leave under the broiler for about 2 minutes. Serve with whole-grain crackers and enjoy immediately. Makes six servings.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Calories: 206; Fat: 12.5g; Carbs: 12.8g; Fiber: 2.4g; Protein: 11.1g; Sodium: 338mg
Recipe adapted from: Cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake • Hip Foodie Mom