We often take our vision’s health for granted until we experience an eye health issue. But we can take plenty of steps before an eye health issue arises to protect our vision or maintain healthy eyesight.
May is Healthy Vision Month, a month dedicated to raising awareness of the importance of caring for our vision’s health. The following are some tips on how you can accomplish this goal.
- Get regular comprehensive dilated eye exams. This helps to detect, diagnose and ultimately treat eye conditions.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. Sunglasses with a label that says 100% protection against both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) are the best.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes and make sure your hands are clean before touching your eyes.
- Take proper care of your contact lenses. Clean them in the proper solution and store them in a proper contact lens case.
- Talk to your eye specialist about your family’s history of eye disease. Some conditions such as cataracts, glaucoma, diabetes and age-related degeneration are hereditary, but they can also be treated effectively if detected early.
- Eat a balanced diet with foods containing nutrients such as dark leafy greens or omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E.
- Quit smoking. This not only prevents serious eye conditions but also benefits your overall health.
To learn more about protecting your eye health or treatments for eye conditions, make an appointment to see one of LifeBridge Health’s ophthalmologists at the Krieger Eye Institute, located at Northwest Hospital, Sinai Hospital and at Quarry Lake, by calling 410-601-2020.